Re: Road Trip

I have done the CA/OR coast trip many, many times and I highly recommend it. Driving and camping along 1/101 is one of my favorite things to do on vacation. Do note that you should plan on taking several days to do it if you:

a) take 1 up from Marin (north of Golden Gate) to Fort Bragg as it is REALLY twisty
b) enjoy taking pictures (the roosevelt elk in Del Norte county around Crescent city are awesome and the coastal scenery is hard to beat for jaw-dropping ocean views)
c) don't like passing RV's on 2 lane roads
d) like taking in some tourist spots

It took about two days of pretty solid driving to go from Portland to San Jose via 1/101. Take the scenic by-passes. They are less crowded, twistier roads that usually reveal spectacular scenery. Most of the time they are not more than a few miles longer than the highway.

Feel free to contact me off digest if you would like tips as to where to stay/camp etc. Have fun, and enjoy your new Berlina!!!

Steven Hooper
'78 Sprint Veloce