Main Bearing Caps (removal)

Greetings All,
To remove the main bearing caps on a 4 cyl Alfa motor, when the engine is on my stand or in the upright position, I back off all the main cap nuts and using a block of wood and hammer, I tap down each end of the crank. This drops the crank and caps, then all one has to do is take off the nuts and lift the caps by hand.
Regards, Ian.
I appriciate the advice from Andrea and Ian.. though with my block on the stand upside down, Andrea's won't quite do the job. (but you didn't know that!)

For the record, it's a bare block, on an engine stand, bottom side up.

Ian's suggestion is better, but likely will screw up my 3 still to be seen Plastigauge measurements.. I'll probably do it to get the crank back out again..

BTW anyone have comments on the accuracy of Plastigauge, vs the torque both nuts then remove one and measure the gap at the edge of the cap method of measuring bearing clearance?

Jon
77 spider