more wire wheel stuff

Paul Bayley contributed this re wire wheels in a turn:

The forces on a car wheel in a turn effectively try to punch the hub out of
line with the rim.  Try making a billy-cart with cycle wheels and see what
happens in a hard turn.

And I can tell you that my head- or tail-on  photographs of Peter Giddings
cornering in his wire wheel Alfa GP cars show an amazing degree of rim/spoke
distortion, as in you can see the entire top of a brake drum and none of the
bottom.  I told Mr. Giddings I had those pictures for him, and he replied he
didn't want to see them!

Sometimes it's better to just let things be good.  For those of us who've had
the privilege of seeing Peter drive those wonderful cars, it's best.

Peace,
Joe Cantrell
Portland
Servici Vari, Squadra Empirica