re: wire wheels

Beatle Bayly writes "In addition to John H's commentary, Pat Braden's Bible
states that spokes were an option on 101 series cars (presumably 750's as
well) although 'we didn't know it at the time'."

I did hear (perhaps from Braden, perhaps elsewhere) of one instance of an
American taking delivery on a new Giulietta at the factory in Milan saying he
would prefer wire wheels, and being told "that can be arranged", or words to
that effect, and it being done. With the presence at that time of artisanal
shops and suppliers catering to builders of etceterini he could well have
received the same answer if he had wanted four headlights or a two-tone paint
job, but that wouldn't have made either "an option". The question of rare
equipment (light alloy doors on Spiders, for instance) having been "an option"
has come up on the digest from time to time in the past, but unless they show
up in a parts book or some other factory documentation I will generally take
such stories, whether in Braden's writings or elsewhere, with a large grain of
salt. "We didn't know it at the time", and I still don't. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

John H.