Interior Lights Diagnostics

I had a couple people ask how I got the lights working so here's what I did:

The timer relay (on my car anyway) is shown as N10 on the cardisc cd.  It is
the 3rd relay on the top row of the fuse/relay panel under the dashboard.
It was missing from my car when I purchased it....previous owner probably
couldn't get the lights to go out and yanked it...who knows.

Then I'd advise you to remove your two interior lights and the door switches
  I have 3 door striker switches on my car...2 on the driver's side....1 on
the pax. side.

You should be able to remove the interior light assemblies with your fingers
or a screw driver...careful not to damage the knee padding.   They should
have 3 wires attached to them.  Take a look at the light itself and look for
any broken parts...the lens should be able to select all 3 positions by
rocking it back and forth (always on, always off, and the center position
which is the door-switched position).  The locking roller mechanism was
broken from one of my lights which prevented it from working at all.

The door striker switches should each have two wires attached to them when
you remove them.  You can test this switch with a multimeter for continuity.
 In the extended, door-open position you should see continuity indicating
the switch is closed (allowing current to flow).  Pushing the switch ever so
slightly will open the switch and the continuity will no longer exist on the
meter.  I was suprised that you didn't have to push much to break the
contacts.  If you don't have a multimeter to check the switches you can
simply disconnect all 3 switches, simulating a "doors closed" situation.
Then connect one switch...the lights should come on, press the switch and
the lights go out in about 15 seconds.  Remove the switch and test the other
ones the same way.

And lastly check to see that you have a rubber plug attached to your door
jamb.  It is the piece that actually pushes on the striker switch.  I was
missing one of those for some reason on the passenger side.  So for this
system to work you need the timer relay (if you have it, its probably
working so don't go buy one if you don't have to) , 2 or 3 working doors
switches rubber strikers, AND 2 working interior lights set to the middle
(switched) position.

Its great to have the lights working again.  Its fine to have the major
mechanicals working but man, the little stuff can drive you nuts.  One nice
thing about this system is that all the replacement parts are cheap...even
in Alfa Land, should you need them.  I think the relay was the most
expensive @ $30-40.  The light assemblies are about $13-15 and the striker
switches are about $2.00 each.

Anybody know what the second switch on the driver's side is for?  I'm
guessing its for the hard top light if you had one.  It's too bad Alfa got
rid of the light on the rear view mirror...had one on my old 1980 Spider
Veloce and it was very convenient.

-Rob Bitzer
91 Spider
Freehold,NJ