Re: Spica fuel pump/archive search

Hi Biba:

The restriction in the Spica pump fuel outlet does indeed slow down the rate of fuel flow through the pump, and in doing so, it raises the pressure before the orifice. I haven't seen enough Spica pumps to know if they all had restrictors, and what the various sizes were. Pat Braden once mentioned that a 1mm Solex carb jet was the size to use with a later Bosch fuel pump, and not having one of those, I drilled a brass plug. The original orifice in my pump (a T255/1, on a '74 Spider) looked a tiny bit bigger, but also had some corrosion, which is why I replaced it. A friend of mine used a air pump needle (like you'd use to inflate a basketball), which has an orifice about the same size, with his late-style Bosch pump on a '72 Spica GTV, and it works well, too. I've seen three different types of fuel pumps installed as OEM on various Spica cars, and surely there must have been some differences in pressure and flow rate. I've got two spare Spica pumps, a T255 and a T255/1, and both have similar (perhaps identical) restrictors.

Regards,

Dean