rear T-bar bushings

In a message dated 5/13/2003 5:24:46 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:43:26 EDT
> From: GModelle@domain.elided
> Subject: rear T-bar bushings
>
> Gentle Alfisti,
> Not sure if the whole rear-axle locating member is called a trunion, or if
> that term is reserved for just the connecting point at the top of the
> differential. In any case, this posting is a question about the side
> supports, where the T-bar fastens to the side rails with two rubber
> bushings.
> Parts diagrams indicate that there is a disc-shaped washer that resides
> between the T-bar end and the bushing. My spider has new bushes,  lacks
> completely any washers, and reveals about 3/8" of space where these washers
>
> are supposed to go. This suggests that my spider may have some lateral slop
>
> in the rear.... play that I'd like to remove.  The bushes are pressed-fit
> the pins that are integral to the T-bar.  Rotation of the T-bar stresses
> the
> rubber inside the bushing. Has anyone used an alternate spacer for this
> condition?  Removing the bushing may prove to be a very difficult task.
> Thanks for all, Digest.
>
> modelle in somers point

       I found some split washers at the hardware store.  Not sure what they
are used for, but they worked perfectly for the purpose you mentioned.
       The washers in question had a hinge and opened up.  They then closed
and snapped closed.  They came in various sizes.  I put duct tape over the
opening to hold them in place, just in case.
       I always call the whole T bar thing a trunnion.  Guess I should look
up trunnion in the dictionary.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City