Lower Ball Joint and Bushings

In the next couple of weeks, I will be replacing the lower ball joints on my '74 GTV.
I'm wondering if I should replace the lower A-arm bushings while I have things apart.
But I don't know any good way to tell if they are worn enough to worry about until
everything is apart. Any suggestions? The car has 85,000 miles and I doubt they have
ever been replaced. Erik Wood'56 Giulietta Spider'74 GTV

Hey Erik..

Like I mentioned in my note on my bushing experience, it's kinda hard to tell till the weight is off.

I did pry around with a large screwdriver, and on the lower A bushings I was able to notice some movement.. and when the lower arms were off, I could move the inner sleeves thru the 1/8" gap of air inside, with my fingers!!

You'll be taking the spring pan down, and the lower ball off, so you'll have the arms loose to wiggle freely.. though you want to know before you take 'em apart so as to have the bushings already delivered I imagine. But, you could err on the other side, and wait till things are apart, then 3-5 days shipping time, and you finish the job.

I'd think if you can feel any movement prying around with the screwdriver, they're dead. Also, with that age, I'd guess the same anyway. As long as you're going thru the hassle of getting the springs loose, might as well freshen them up.

Jon - looking forward to all new, tight, bushings..
77 Spider