Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 14:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik G Wood <genericwood@domain.elided>
Subject: re: steering wheel aim

Jim and others, assuming the toe is about correct now, isn't this easy to fix.
Can't you just remove the steering arm from the splined shaft exiting the
steering box, find the center of the steering box by turning the wheel to the
left and right, then replace the steering arm on the splined shaft?  Assuming
the left and right tie rods are somewhere close to equal length, I would think
this would work quite well.   That said, I just had an alignment shop finish
up my GTV.  I had the toe within about 1/4 inch of the 1/8 inch recommended
with an out of level garage floor and a tape measure.  But I had no way of
measuring caster.  It was WAY off of the specified 1-2 degrees.  One side had
NO caster!  As you can imagine, the car drives MUCH better now! Erik Wood