Re: Milano Fuel Hose

[ Nicer version with better line breaks ]

Mark Denovich and Richard Welty both commented on the hoses in the supply
and return in the RHS rear wheel area. I'm working through this problem at
the moment on my 90.

2 notes to bear in mind:

- I'm referring to an Alfa 90 setup, which has the smaller
  50L tank under the boot/trunk floor. Not sure what the
  GTV6/3.0L75/Milano setup is.

- I'm using the phrase "EFI hose" in lieu of "7.5mm ID EFI
  hose". 7.5mm is not available to me. Every hose or parts
  place I go into and say "7.5mm ID EFI hose", just gets me
  a "huh?". So, I've been using a hose marked 8mm 5/16" for
  a few years now without any problems.

The factory set up is:

supply:
- spigot on tank to hard metal line - 3" of 1/2" ID fuel
  hose (not EFI)
- hard metal line to pump - 2' of 1/2 ID fuel hose (not
  EFI). This is a moulded hose that has a nasty 180 degree
  back into the pump. I'm struggling to replace this hose
  at the moment, because the genuine part is NLA in
  Australia (or at least nil-stock). 1/2" fuel hose kinks
  if you try and follow the same curve, but there's no
  space for a larger-radius curve. any suggestions?
- pump to filter - 3" of EFI hose
- filter to flexible hard line - 6" of EFI hose. This goes
  through another tight radius bend, but the hose copes
  just fine.

  All of this can be replace with a single 4-5' length of
  the 1/2" fuel hose from the spigot on the tank to the
  pump input spigot, provided you can solve the problem of
  the bend. you should probably use some wrap to protect
  the hose from rubbing on the hose retaining straps. You
  will of course still need the 3" and 6" pieces of EFI
  hose on the output side of the pump.

return:
- flexible hard line to hard metal line - 3" of EFI hose
- hard metal line to spigot on tank - 3" of EFI hose

  All of this can be replaced with a single 3' piece of EFI
  hose from the flexible hard line to the spigot on the
  tank. Again, you should probably use some wrap to
  protect the EFI hose from rubbing on the hose retaining
  straps.

I never thought of getting rid of those hard metal lines, but that'd get rid
of the pig of a job of replacing the 3" piece from the hard line to the
tank, so out it will go.

Does anybody know why the supply lines don't run direct from the
tank-pump-filter-flexible hard line, but instead to
tank-bend-pump-filter-bend-flexible hard line? A much more sensible
arrangement to my way of thinking, but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

Tony
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
--
Tony Lupton                    *     ReTech Global Pty Ltd
Release Manager             *    *   23 Hi-Tech Court
tlupton@domain.elided       *     8 Mile Plains Qld 4113
Phone: +61 7 3340 2664               Australia
Fax:   +61 7 3340 3550        *      www.retechglobal.com
This email and any attached files are
* confidential and intended solely for the use of the intended recipient
* subject to copyright and the Privacy Act (Cth)
* not intended to create legally binding relations until contracts on
acceptable terms have been signed by all parties.
Any confidentiality or privilege is not lost or waived because of any error
in sending this email to you. If you have received this email in error,
please advise by return email, delete it from your system and destroy any
copies.
Our company is not responsible for any viruses or harmful programs passed on
down via email. You should have installed, up to date virus scanning
software.

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and should not
necessarily be taken as those of the company.