The gods smile

     Just returned from a week in Europe where I had the distinct pleasure
     of driving two new Alfas. First, a colleague arrived at a 3 day
     meeting driving a 166 Lusso which he kindly allowed me to drive for a
     spirited romp from Aix en Provence to the medieval town of Beaux. The
     throttle response from the 3.2L six was exceptional and the 6 speed
     tranny moved things along nicely. The fit and finish on the car was
     very nice. Another of our friends who I was following on the motorway
     was pulled over for speeding in his wife's Renault Espace minivan
     while I sped by in the Alfa. We had a good laugh about this although
     he felt I should have contributed to the payment of his 90 Euro fine.

     Later in the week, I had to drive from Heathrow airport to Bristol
     (about 100 miles) and had arranged a rental car from Avis. I did not
     see any Alfas in the lot as the shuttle bus pulled in, so I was
     presently surprised when the girl at the rental car counter asked me
     if I would prefer a "Vauxhall or an Alfa". No question on that one. I
     pulled out in a brand new (less than 2000 km) 156 with the 2.0 JTS
     twink (if I recall about 165 hp). This car was likewise a real
     pleasure and the drive to and from Bristol was accomplished in record
     time.

     It is till amazing to me that these cars are not available in the U.S.
     as I believe they would sell very well here. Oh well, we'll just have
     to wait and see.

     Kevin Fillip
     Dallas, Tejas

     '85 GTV-6