Re: 164 Squeaky Headliner

<My 164 has a squeak that's coming from under the headliner just behind
the sunroof area.  Sounds like a squeaky bed spring.  Any ideas on how
to troubleshoot?>

I've had similar squeaks and rattles in my 75TS Sunroof and both my 164TS
Sunroofs. Ever seen the film 'Mousehunt'? Well hunting my sunroof squeaks
became similarly obsessive..and ridiculous..squeezing odd lumps of foam here
and there..getting my wife to drive whilst I sat in the back biffing and
pressing on various bits of headliner to see which bit quietened it
down..squirting lubricant and PTFE grease liberally on the mechanism....net
result.....complete defeat, though occasionally I thought I had it licked,
just for it to return like a thief in the night the next time I drove the car.
These days I turn up the stereo and pretend its not there...14 years is
enough, and I drew the line at taking the whole kaboodle to bits, as that way
lies madness I suspect.

Tim Hancock   Boston UK

164TS
164 Super

P.S. Reading the touching tributes to Fred DiMatteo I find we shared a
birthdate...forty years apart. I shall miss his down to earth, but always well
meaning comments and an enthusiasm for Alfa Romeo that was obvious, even in
the somewhat impersonal world of cyberspace. Would that a little of his
enthusiasm has rubbed off on all of us.