Re: 2-liter teardown

>In anybodies experience,
>can an Alfa crank suffer this kind of extreme insult and remain useable? If
>didn't hear otherwise, I might consider just polishing if all other factors
>warrant.

I understand the crank is hard enough to survive. My
engine builder found some small ridges and used some
emorycloth to smooth them out. He said hand polishing
doesn't go as deep as the nitriding and it will still be
hard enough.

He showed me the bearings and they were pretty flat.
Worn down to the inside material. Said probably some
high engine speed with oil starvation. They were in one
piece, though, not broken up like yours.

You need to be the judge on the depth of your grooves,
though. He was confident about mine, as he had seen them
like that before and had good results.

Stefano
Oakland, CA