Spirax 80W90, Alternatives...

While all this talk of gear oils I figured I would go ahead and replace mine in my 84 GTV6 because it probably needs it! I talked to a local Shell distributor and he says 5 gal bucket of Spirax ($35) is the smallest amount he can get, no quarts. He said the Chevron Delo 80W90 is actually a better choice, something about cracked rock oil or some technical mumbo-jumbo.....
Anyone heard of this? Anyone use it? It's available in quarts. Why is a Shell guy telling me that Chevron is better?

Mark in Kentucky
84 GTV6
and a few Alfettas