Home-made torsion bar removal tool

I just swapped out my torsion bars last week and made my own removal tool for less than $5. My first attemp was to follow advice on the shankle torsion bar instructions and purchase an M10 x 1.25 bolt, start threading it into the back of the torsion bar and beat it with a hammer. Note that the lower a-arm must be removed in order for this method to work. After destroying three bolts, I decided that this method was not going to work. Then I took a piece of 1/2" plate, measuring about 2" x 4" and drilled a 7/16" hole through the center of it. I put the an M10 x 1.25 bolt through it and threaded it into the back of the torsion bar trying to pull the bar out the back. After stripping the threads on three more bolts, I decided this was not going to work either. In my third attempt, I purchased two 1-1/2" U-bolts, took a piece of 4" x 4" x 1/2" angle about 5" long and drilled four holes in one leg of the angle. I then slipped the U-bolts over the torsion bar at the front of the bar just before the splines begin and attatched them to the angle. Using a three pound hammer, I beat the crap out of the bottom leg of the angle and basically pulled the bar out towards the front. It took ALOT of force, patience, heat and penetrating oil, but it finally came out. If you can't understand my description, I can snap a photo and send it to you. Note that the lower a-arm must be removed in order for this method to work as well. Counting my failed attempts and trips to the store, I probably spent 5 or 6 hours on this one bar. On the other hand, you might get lucky, on the drivers side, I was able to pull the bar out with my bare hands! If I had it to do over again, with the tool already made, the passenger side would probably take 15 minutes. One other word of caution, Paul at DiFatta Bros. warned me to be careful with the heat because you could catch the carpet on fire!
Michael Conrey
Smithsburg, MD

PS - anyone from the digest going to VIR this weekend?