Fuel Delivery Issue, Fuel Pump? 1600 Duetto

Just dropped in the newly rebuilt 1600 motor!
Bolted on all parts.....
Primed the fuel pump manualy and checked for blockage in the lines from the
tank..
No fuel delivery to the carbys!
Disconnected the fuel lines after the pump, at the carbys, and blew through
the fuel lines from the tank and a ton of fuel is going through! No line
blockage.....
And yes I did put in 10 liters of fresh 93 octane fuel!

Here is the question....

The pump atuates itself off the lobe on the distributor it works on suction.
There is a steel rod between the pump and the crank case plate that actualy
actautes off the distributor lobe. The rod seams rather small in order to
deflect off the lobe and the fuel pump suction system. It seams to be about
1-1.5" too small.

I am thinking A) I lost some sort of return or actuation spring that drives
this rod forth and back or
B) there are two rods that actuate in this area....

I have the brooklands manull for the Giulia and the owners bible. And none
give a clear decription of the rod in this area nor other moving parts.
Any help is greatly appreciated I am stuck with my new that just wont go!

Ron