Re: Why ATF in Spider Gear Box ?

John Katos wrote:
Our 1983 Dodge Omni w/1.6L Peugeot (aka Simca) with a 4 speed manual came
with ATF trans lube.
The 164 uses ATF in it's manual transmissions (although I think they had regular gear oil when they were first being produced... this caused me some confusion.)

I believe ATF has more detergents and anti-foaming agents than regular motor oil (or certainly gear oil.) A trick you can do to quiet noisy lifters is to add a Qt of ATF to your engine just before an oil change. A hundred miles of driving or so, and the ATF cleans residue out of the lifters, and the clicking goes away.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org