There are some manufacturers that recommend ATF in a manual gearbox. If memory serves, a friend used to have a late 80's Mustang that used ATF in its 5-speed. When I used to drive Jaguars, the old XKE's used 30 or 40w motor oil in their 4-speeds. In both of my Spiders I use Kendall 70w motor oil in the gearboxes, but Alfa recommends Shell Spirax 90w. Stay away from the synthetics or any oils that contain hypoid additives.

Regards,

Dean

At 03:13 PM 4/29/2003, you wrote:

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:29:07 -0700
From: pneese1@domain.elided
Subject: Why ATF in Series 3 Spider Manual Tranny?

Why would someone fill a manual tranny with automatic transmission fluid?  I
was surprised after discovering a leak (near top of tranny, smell of oil
from shifter, can hear gears when clutch in not engaged), and reviewing the
previous owner's records.  This was done at a reputable European car repair
shop in So Cal.

Any thoughts?

Paul