Alfa 75 heater valve/wire replacement

Anyone ever replace a heater valve and control wire on an Alfa 75?
I guess a Milano would be the same.  I had a mechanic
look at it and he said it would cost about $300.00 to replace,
he also said that the primary culprit is the control wire that
opens and closes the heater valve was broken.  He said that the
whole dash has to be taken out to do the work and takes a lot of
manhours.  Anyone know any short cuts, as I would rather do it myself
if it doesn't require removing the whole dash, thanks.

Dan K.