crankcase ventilation, capped off stuff

Can someone explain to me how the crankcase ventilation works on 77spiders?
It seems the large hose from the valve cover fitting uses the suction from the
air cleaner box to suck out the fumes back into the intake, is this right?  Is
there a control valve of some sort?  I noticed the valve cover fitting on mine
has an additional smaller port on it for another hose, however right now it's
been capped off, what normally goes there?  Also I've noticed some type of oil
return line going into the side of the dipstick base, was this originally the
drain-back hose for my (now non-existant) SPICA pump?  The last thing I've
found that's been capped off is a little can shaped fitting on the front
underside of the intake, what was this originally used for?  My spider came
with shankle-converted webers on it, I'm assuming that is the reason for most
of this having been done.  I'm less interested in how my car is set up now
than how it is *supposed* to be set up.

___
 /<>/>/>
77 Spider