'78 Strange Starting Issue.

Still working with my friend on this starter issue on the '78 with SPICA.  The starter keeps whirring away when everything is cold(outside temperature doesn't matter - warm or cold).
Here are a few clues:
- He wired a new wire from the solenoid to the cold start solenoid.  He then attached a hand starter from +12 to the cold start solenoid.  This basically defeats the ignition start switch and any other solenoid wiring(except the feed from the battery).  He then turned the ignition to ON to supply power and hit the hand starter.  The starter continued to crank over the engine and would not stop.  The hand starter was removed and the starter continued to run.  The wire was then disconnected from the cold start solenoid and the starter stopped.
- All other wires were disconnected from the SPICA.
- While the starter was running on, a test light showed that there was power to the cold start solenoid terminal.
- I witnessed the above, but I didn't see just the hand starter connected to the solenoid only.  He said he tried this, but it worked normally and wouldn't run-on.
- After a few tries, the starter will only run when asked and doesn't run-on.  Seems like something warms up.
- Not sure if the SPICA is adjusted properly, but once everything was connected up, it started, but ran very poorly(stalling) until warmed up.

Doesn't...make....sense.

Any clues??  Someone mentioned it could be the solenoid, but the symptoms don't make sense.

Thanks!
Jason.
Kintnersville, PA.