Converting back to Spica

I am applying whatever talents I might have to helping Wes Ingram redo his
Spica book, so perhaps I should chime in with that qualification.  I am
working on the book only in support for a nice guy, a technology I consider
elegant and admirable, and a replacement pump for the Berlina.  I don't get a
cut of anything, not on payroll, etc.  I consider it an honor to contribute to
the book.

I believe the early '70s Alfas are far and away the best bang for the
buck---for what I desire in a "real" car.  I like their styling, they are
affordable, they're simple, you can get almost all parts, they are mostly
exempt from smog testing, and they give what I think is The Authentic
Experience.  (That Ricer may be faster, but I have what they are missing!)  To
my eye, the early square tail Spiders were the prettiest, as were the '71 GTVs
and the first Berlinas.  That's why my Spider is a '72, although my Berlina is
a '73 (with stainless bumpers).  Both have, and will have, Spicas.

For those who need to rationalize their Alfas as investments, the early 2
liters are beginning to head upward.  But for people who care about cars as
investments, originality is vital, and US cars came with Spica pumps.

Anyone who was around back then or has read Fred's compilation of Spica
articles and correspondence from the '70s knows that the system was poorly
understood by a lot of people, and many thousands, probably millions of
dollars have been made retrograding Spica cars to carburetors.  I have been
tempted myself, but each time (except one) I've thought my Spica system was
hopelessly screwed up, it has turned out to be maladjustment by a DPO or maybe
by me.  That one time, my Sport Sedan's Spica seized up terminally, R.I.P.  I
have not yet opened it up to find out why; maybe I'll let Wes do a postmortem.
8 years later, it's still dead.

What afflicts many dubious Spica pumps, aside from earlier maladjustment, is
the fact that they are from 23 to 34 years old and they're worn out.  The
pistons are worn, parts of the logic sections may have rusted, generally, they
need reconstructive surgery a lot more than your favorite rock star.  I
believe it is our great good fortune to have Wes Ingram's support.  He's
another of the great Alfa resources, too generous with his time and energy for
a bean counter to be happy, but Wes loves Alfas and Spicas, and knows how to
keep them going---maybe better than originally.

From an appropriate Spica pump, you can expect performance equal or superior
to any similarly configured Alfa, close to 30 mpg, clean emissions, superb
reliability, response tailored to climate, altitude, engine state, and your
personal tweaking.

That's why I vote go stay with Spica or go back to it if you can.  But be sure
it is good; it probably needs a rebuild.  I did what I would do, get a rebuilt
pump from Wes.

Joe Cantrell
'72 Spider PIR Slut
'73 Berlina Gort (where is Klaatu when the USA needs him?) soon to be a Slut2