Re: alfa-digest V9 #445

> What gives?  The difference suggests that if the factory procedure is
> followed, that damage to the clutch mechanism is likely to result.

Yes, the factory procedure will very likely damage the tensioner

> If your procedures is correct and Alfa's is not, then Alfa owes thousands
of
> owners for the bent valves repairs and headaches resulting for T-belt
slip.

Good luck on that;)

> Why is the Centerline procedure better and why is the factory procedure
not

It will not overstress the spring on the back of the unit

> Seeking knowledge and a tensioner/procedure that works, and valves that
> don't kiss pistons

We can all agree to that.  Fortunately, the current tensioner will work
quite well if installed correctly.  I even know of one extreme case were a
164 owner racked up 72,000miles between belt changes with a thermo-mech
tensioner.  I definitely DON'T RECCOMEND THIS.  I usually tell people to do
the belt every thirty thousand, or, just before it breaks :)

Thanks, Nick
Centerline Products
888-750-ALFA