Re: 164 ABS?

> "Mitch Poole" <mep-o@domain.elided> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 91 164S has a ghost in the brake system that my mechanic can't seem
> to find.  Intermittently, with greater occasion when the car is hot as in stop
> and go traffic the brakes seem to partially engage, making the car sluggish.
> I know its the brakes because I have experienced rapid pad wear and when its
> doing it the car stops on a hill in neutral.  When I last left the mechanic
> thinking it fixed he said the next thing was to try disconnecting the ABS.  Is
> this something I can do by pulling a fuse?  If so, which one?  Or should I
> leave it for when I can get it into the shop?  I'd like to use the car over
> Easter without it doing this thing.

The next time it happens, get out of the car and touch each of the wheels.
You'll probably find one diagonal pair much hotter than the other -- usually
the right front and left rear.  If so, one circuit of your master cylinder
is sticking and the unit needs replacing.  It usually happens when it's hot.

After my second OEM Bendix Italia master cylinder did this to me, I replaced
it with a Beck-Arnley unit.  That was last summer.  So far, so good.  I still
have a bunch of extra Beck-Arnley master cylinders if you'd like to buy one.
Here are the details:

  http://www.dedion.com/brake_master

Regards,
-Tom