Re: V6 Belt tensioner

For what it's worth, Nick, my mechanic agrees with you. There are a number of "solutions" out there for improving the original hydraulic tensioner, but my mechanic contends that none are as good as the thermomechanical one, when it's correctly installed. He has his own method, and it seems to work. He's never had one fail because of faulty installation. OTOH, he recommends replacement with EVERY belt change, and, in fact, won't do a belt job without replacing the tensioner (he did it once, the old tensioner failed, he ate the engine rebuild (ouch). You get the idea).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Saturday, April 19, 2003, at 04:44 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:18:44 -0600
From: "Nick Sorensen" <nicksorensen@domain.elided>
Subject: V6 Belt tensioner

Hello all,
The V6 Thermomechanical tensioner works quite well, if installed correctly.
All this hype about it lately seems to make me think everyone forgot how bad
the originals were. That said, there are a few conditionals for the updated
tensioner. If the tensioner has snapped back under the spring tension, to
the fully slack position, it will be damaged. Further, if the factory
method is used to tension the unit, the failure rate increases dramatically.
For a procedure that is known to work, go to the Centerline website. We
have sold hundreds of these things, and installed dozens ourselves, so we
have a pretty large sample of users. Every time the tensioner is installed
correctly, it easily lasts the lifespan of the belt. In fact we recommend
replacing them every other belt. Personally, I think it is the best thing
available.

Nick
Centerline Alfa Romeo
Boulder, CO