UniChip

>There was a post here some weeks ago that offered a
>glimmer of cost-effective hope, however. It dealt with
>a device known as the UniChip, which connects between
>the engine and the L-Jet ECU box. It intercepts the
>L-Jet signals and modifies them so that there is a
>greater control and range of engine management
>functions. It is also rather cheap...$200 - $300
>range. A friend has one on his WRX and it made a BIG
>difference in HP. No, not subtle nor imagined. BTW, he
>also owns a Milano 3.0.
>Seems nobody took any interest in the last post on the
>UniChip. Jack at The Racer's Group (USA UniChip
>distributor in Sonoma California) (707)935-3999, said
>they've gotten the UniChip to work on an L-Jet
>equipped Porsche 944. If someone is willing to provide
>a car, they'll tune a Unichip for L-Jet Alfa
>V6's, I'd imagine the 4-cyl Spiders as well. I do not
>believe anybody has taken him up on that yet. I'm
>hoping that somebody can drive a stock 2.5 and 3.0 L
>Alfa over to him and see what it can do. I'd do it
>myself, were I not in grad school and way down here in
>San Diego.
>You can visit the UniChip site at:
>http://www.dastek.co.za
>If it works as claimed (and seen on the WRX), it will
>be a significant alternative to other mods that are
>not only expensive, but not easily reversible when
>smog time comes.(UniChip comes with a bypass module
>that can be plugged in for smog check time, a big
>boost to us living in the People's Republic.)
>Anyone in the Bay area willing to take a drive up to
>Sonoma?
>Diogenio
>The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
>http://search.yahoo.com

As an Alfisti, (3 164s in the driveway) and my paycheck made by tuning WRXs
at work (260hp at the wheels today) I am curious what a UniChip can do for
a non turbo car.

The biggest issues with the WRX is that having a turbo makes it far more
adjustable than an non turbo car. What are you going to do to an old tech
V6 that it isn't already doing? Are you talking about a stock motor or
something built? We tinker with boost, boost maps, fuel supply and maps and
timing as well as several other areas. We're using the brilliant Ecutek
system from UK, that actually reflashes the stock ECU through the
diagnostic OBDII port.

UniChip market price is around $1000, not $2-300. But I am still curious
what real gains are expected on a normally aspirated car.

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA
http://alfabill.com