Re: alfa-digest V9 #429

Dean and John,
I've got a news flash for you two... I'm not defending the mechanic who
claimed an Alfa spider jumped the timing chain but I can tell you from
personal experience that losing the timing belt in a 2.5 liter GTV-6 at 6250
RPM will NOT necessarily destroy the entire engine. At 53,000 miles I
stripped 50% of the cogs off of the timing belt while charging up an on ramp.
I had just hit the rev limiter when the failure took place... The engine died
immediately. I tore the heads down and sent them off to Sperry for an
upgrade. As a professional machinist I have access to any precision measuring
and testing equipment imaginable and I and a qualified NDT inspector. The
only damage to the engine was three bent intake valves and a minor nick in
the top of #4 piston. ALL other reciprocating and rotating parts were
undamaged! I reassembled the engine using the original pistons, liners,
pushrods, connecting rods and cam followers. Currently the engine has over
100,000 miles and you can ask anyone in the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Club's
Tidewater branch or Georgian Gaz and they will tell you my GTV-6 runs just
fine and will still turn to the limit any and every time I so desire. It does
now wear a mechanical belt tensioner and the belt gets swapped yearly...
Cheaper that way!
Thomas Gonnella