Re: Dare I take the plunge?

Ben,

Forget what everyone else wrote, except those who said the 80s Spider are better as daily drivers. I am a college student, like you, and have an '85 Veloce, which is a wonderful and reliable daily driver. It is expensive to maintain, however, so I hope you have some form of reliable income (parents).

1. I'm bringing my car back to school after Easter. I havent had it all semester. Its been a cold year and weve had ice and snow... a car cover is essential at school... but also a pain. So I did without the car thus far.

2. Chicks love the Alfa, your girlfriend will want to marry you. Do you want this?

3. Good sound is possible, and easy, in my '85. I have 5.25s in the kick panels, and horrible little 3" boxes on the rear shelf. The front speakers fit no problem, even with the ac compressor. Get excellent speakers in the front, they should be your workhorses... maybe get 3-ways with movable tweeters. A hi-power receiver is a must. 22W RMS or higher. I have an RF 8310, 25W RMS. Provides enough power for a CD to be loud and clear even at 100mph. It is a quiet car with the top down!! But good speakers are paramount. Also have a 100W half-moon box sub placed on the rear shelf between the rear speakers. Puts out decent bass and pounds your butt. Pretty much the best that can be done. And-- I have never seen the amp. Its underneath the parcel shelf-- there is actually a good amount of room down there. The only thing keeping me from excellent sound are those little 3"s... but there is still a lot of room to upgrade, even with the sub back there. box speakers, though, are a great idea for the shelf because they are angled right towards your ears so the sound doesnt just fly out of the car. Bottom line, dont worry about sound.

4. My car's for sale.

Let's talk, I want to hear your plans!

Roland F. Foss
Davidson College, N.C.