re: Dare I take the plunge?

I suppose I should weigh in on this one...

At 12:51 PM +0000 4/17/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:01:53 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaupp <bkaupp@domain.elided>
Subject: Dare I take the plunge?

Hi there...
My name's Ben and I'm an Alfaholic (a har har... oy)
anyway, I have officially fallen in love with your ladies (specifically
the 70's Spiders) and I was wondering a few things before I put my soul
on eBay...
1) I am a college student. I can only afford one car, but I do have a
bus pass. Am I completely stupid to even consider a Spider as my only
mode of transportation? I would be switching from a 1987 Audi 4000CS
quattro, so I'm used to complex engineering. My car before the 4kq was
a 1970 BMW 2002, so I'm also used to old cars.
The only car that I have at school, and the only intact, running car I own, is my '82 GTV-6. The parking situation restricts my use of the car much more than my choice of car.

2) I am a college student. I think I mentioned that. As this will be my
only car, will I truly hate it in winter? I currently drive my Audi in
driving rainstorms with the windows down, so a little water doesn't
bother me... My girl may be another story. Do we have to take her Focus
on dates?
The Spider may be a handful in the snow (I don't know, but I can say that my GTV-6 great), but I'm guessing you don't see a lot of that in Santa Cruz. Driving rainstorms shouldn't be a problem if you don't mind rusting your car. The convertible top and roll-up windows on an Alfa Spider (unlike some other classic convertibles I can think of...) should be entirely adequate to keep you and your girl dry. If you really need a proper all-weather, all-season, all-climate car, have you thought about some sort of Alfa that would include a roof?

3) I am a college student. Gee this is getting repetitive. I like
music. Is it possible to stick four speakers, an amp, and a single DIN
deck in a Spider and have none of it show?
I have no idea, but I know that there's more space behind the front seats (for boxed speakers, perhaps) than in some popular modern convertibles I can think of.

4) Guess what... I'm still a college student. I work in retail. Can I
realistically expect to get a nice Spider for under $4000? I'm willing
to drive a car that will be a bit of a work in progress, as long as
it's mechanically stable.
Well, if you can, it would probably be in southern California, so you're already ahead of the game by virtue of living there.

Lastly, if anybody has any advice, wants to buy my Audi, or has a
Spider available within a few hundred miles of Santa Cruz, CA, then
please email me. I can't wait to enter a new money pit, and I apologize
for my newbieness.
Good luck,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA