Alfas and college students

My humble, semi-informed views on the question (YMMV):

1.  Can you buy a decent Spider for $4K, probably, with some looking.
Spider prices are creeping up, even on (or perhaps because of) eBay.
Personally, the Bosch EFI Spiders would be my choice for someone in your
situation -- the EFI rarely gives problems and the stiffer chassis of
the mid-80's Spiders seems to hold up better with less squeaks and
rattles.  At this point, they're more plentiful than the 70's Spiders
too, which helps hold the price down.  If you can find a Graduate model,
give it some serious thought -- less electronic/power stuff on it
(roll-up windows instead of power, manual mirrors) so less to have to
fix. Whatever you do, remember that Alfas are *very* intolerant of
missed maintenance, so be prepared to spend some $$ on a regular basis
unless you like to gamble.

2.  Winter driving in a Spider -- well if there is salt on the rods, I
wouldn't recommend it -- salt is like Miracle-Gro for the tin-worm.  If
not, the Spider has a phenomenal heater in it and I've comfortably
driven mine in sub-zero weather when the accursed Honda wouldn't even
start.  However, on snow and ice, I'd rather be in the Quattro or a FWD
drive car unless there's room to have fun sliding around.  Obviously
daily exposure is not necessarily wonderful for the rag top, but that's
an issue with any convertible.

3.  Radios.  In 1986 Alfa changed the Spider interior.  Prior to that
the stock radio was the typical 3 hole shafted unit and the radio
opening was in a pretty substantial metal panel, so IMHO it did
contribute the stiffness of the dash area.  Personally, I'm not sure I'd
cut the opening to make it DIN size (I'm facing that decision with my
'83 Spider and I'm not sure what I'm going to so).  Someone with a post
'85 Spider can tell you whether the radio opening was changed, but I
recall that it was.  One note -- there's not a lot of depth back there
in any event.  Speakers -- there's no room in the doors if the car has
power windows.  You can get 4" into the footwells and the rear deck can
hold 5 and 1/4" even with the Bosch brainbox in the way.  I'd consider
surface mount tweeters for the front corners of the doors if you can
find some small and unobtrusive enough.  SPICA cars don't have the rear
deck issue since there's no brain box.  You can probably fit a small amp
into the trunk area where the jack and the evaporative canister reside.
Basically, since it's a ragtop, *great* sound is problematic, but decent
sound should be achievable.  I don't remember when Alfa changed
alternator sizes, but I'd be concerned if you want to have an
ear-shattering system --I think the Milano alternator and the later
Spider ones are 65 amp units, but I could be wrong.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider
'87 Milano