Fact is, If one knows how to drive an FWD car, they can handle and perform very well. I have an Alfa GTV-6 with a new 3.0 liter engine with 164 's' cams. It has upgraded brakes, yellow Konis all the way 'round, It's been lowered and shod with new Pirelli P6000s. But recently, my newly purchased VW GTI 1.8T daily-driver showed me how far cars have come since the Alfa was new. I was able to negotiate one of the best two-lane mountain roads in the San Francisco Bay Area (La Honda Road, for those who know it) late one night, recently, from the coast to Skyline Blvd, at between 60-70 MPH, never leaving 4th gear and without the car once squealing tires or getting out of sorts in any way. If I tried that with my GTV-6, one would have been able to hear me coming for miles from the protestations of my tires alone. No, I don't doubt for a moment that well set-up FWD cars can win races. It looks as if the way the drive is configured in a car is not nearly as important as the way that drive is engineered, and, of course, the skill of the driver.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 11:33 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:20:56 EDT
From: AlfaNeely@domain.elided
Subject: FWD Beats Similar RWD on the racetrack Worldwide

In a message dated 4/16/2003 11:04:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

i see FWD cars beat RWD cars all the time. there are well prepped VW
rabbits and golfs that can win in SCCA ITB at Lime Rock, against similarly
well prepared Alfas with similarly skilled drivers. the VWs typically have
smaller engines (1.8 vs 2.0L), but also have significantly less weight
(by several hundreds of pounds.)

all other things are _never_ equal. especially in racing.

richard
- --
Richard Welty
OK, Richard. Any bright ideas on how to make my ITB Alfa Spider beat
the VW Golf GT's? The Rabbit problem was cured by seat time on my part. But
there are at least three VW Golf GT's in Mid Div and the fastest is two to
three seconds a lap faster at every track we run. Of course, the driver has
won ITB the last 10 years in a row and he runs every race on the schedule,
which I cannot afford to do and he runs new Hoosiers every race, while I try
to get my Hoosiers to last three weekends.
I know they are all WRONG WHEEL drive, but it seems to work for them.
Your explaination of why a wheel that is trying to both turn the car and pull
it forward was quite good.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City