FWD Beats Similar RWD on the racetrack Worldwide

In a message dated 4/16/2003 11:04:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> i see FWD cars beat RWD cars all the time. there are well prepped VW
> rabbits and golfs that can win in SCCA ITB at Lime Rock, against similarly
> well prepared Alfas with similarly skilled drivers. the VWs typically have
> smaller engines (1.8 vs 2.0L), but also have significantly less weight
> (by several hundreds of pounds.)
>
> all other things are _never_ equal. especially in racing.
>
> richard
> - --
> Richard Welty

       OK, Richard.  Any bright ideas on how to make my ITB Alfa Spider beat
the VW Golf GT's?  The Rabbit problem was cured by seat time on my part.  But
there are at least three VW Golf GT's in Mid Div and the fastest is two to
three seconds a lap faster at every track we run.  Of course, the driver has
won ITB the last 10 years in a row and he runs every race on the schedule,
which I cannot afford to do and he runs new Hoosiers every race, while I try
to get my Hoosiers to last three weekends.
       I know they are all WRONG WHEEL drive, but it seems to work for them.
Your explaination of why a wheel that is trying to both turn the car and pull
it forward was quite good.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City