Re: GTV6 rear spring height

I replaced the rear springs in my GTV6 this past weekend.  With the old
springs, the measurement from the center of the wheel to the fender lip
was 12 3/8" on the left and 13 3/8" on the right.  I assumed that the
old left rear spring was sagging or broken.  After the installation of
the new springs, the measurements are 11 3/4" on the left and 13" on the
right.  Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?  FWIW,
the front heights are 14 1/4" on the left and 14 7/8" on the right.
 Could the uneven front ride height be affecting the rear height?  With
any luck I'll be replacing the front torsion bars later this week...

Michael Conrey
Smithsburg, MD

Michael,

Did you replace them yourself? Did you notice a rubber disk in the
spring pan below the spring? My Alfetta was too low at one point (in time)
and I got some spacers. I had my mechanic install them next time the
car was in for some work, and when it came back, the right was nice,
but the left was still a bit low. I got down and looked under and saw
a rubber pad that was flattened out on the left and still holding up on the
right. You can see them when you lay down and look from behind the
rear wheel.

Stefano.
Oakland, CA