Spring and shock questions, KYB, Sachs, etc.

About a year ago I bought a 1973 GTV that the previous owner had recently
paid a local Alfa shop (diFatta Bros.) over $800 for new springs and KYB gas
shocks. The car handled like on rails but the ride was hard enough to shake
the fillings out of your teeth. I replaced the rear springs (which were
painted red and I'm guessing are the red "Performance" springs from IAP in
Virginia) with used stock rear springs, and the ride improved dramatically
with little loss of handling in real-world street driving conditions.

I'm now looking for a pair of stock front springs to replace the
Kenworth-sized red front springs. If anyone has a pair of new or good used
stock front springs that would fit my 1973 GTV, I'd appreciate an email with
your selling price.

That leaves the KYB shocks. The present shocks are KYB "Gas-adjustable"
shocks with no external adjusting mechanism that are supposedly internally
self-adjusting.

I've heard a lot about how stiff Bilstein gas shocks are, and the ride on my
former Saab Turbo 900 equipped with Bilsteins was the harshest of any new car
I've bought in 40 years. My impression is that gas shocks inherently have a
greater resistance to compression, hence result in a harsher ride, than "oil"
shocks. Unless the consensus is the KYB shcoks are no stiffer than stock, I'd
like to replace the KYB shocks on my GTV (and any reasonable offer will be
accepted as they are virtually new) and have two questions:

1) Who makes the stock Alfa shocks? If the maker or brand is good enough for
the Alfa engineers who designed the suspension system, they are good enough
for me.

2) What's the story about Sachs shocks for a GTV? I thought they were "oil"
shocks, but a recent comment on this digest referred to them as "low pressure
gas shocks".

My GTV will never see a track with me in it and a bone-stock Alfa handles
better than my driving abilities. I would greatly appreciate a recommendation
for a shock that results in a smooth ride and handles comparable to stock. If
the answer is to simply buy stock Alfa shocks, that takes me back to question
#1 above.

Thank you in advance for any advice here.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD