RE: Steering box - 115 Spider

Hey Paul,

I had my box rebuilt in LA last year, and if anything it's now too
stiff!  I'm still playing with shims to see if I can get it just right,
but overall it's nice and tight, and the price was right at about $400.

I can't find his card right now, but Tom Sahines recommended him, and
when I mentioned to Tom at the track that it seemed to stiff he offered
to check it out and make it right.

Give Tom a call and talk to him.  If you bought a good used box from
APE, Fabio in LA could rebuild it for you.

As for removing the box, you have to remove your headers unfortunately
to get it out.  Pull the steering wheel, and there are two bolts under
the dash that clamp the tube in place that you'll need to remove.  Undo
the tie rods from the pitman arm, remove the four (three?) bolts that
hold the box to the body, and she'll pull out through the engine
compartment.  Yup, it's a pain, which is why I replaced mine while the
engine was out.

I also got burned after all that work I did, my clutch MC failed and
ruined my new engine bay paint.  Damn...

Cheers,
Ian Lomax