Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 02:12 PM 4/10/2003, you wrote:

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:05:41 +0100
From: Martin Jacques <martin.jacques@domain.elided>
Subject: Help with hydraulic clutch diagnosis - 166/164

Folks,

I am hoping that someone can help me with some diagnosis. My problem relates
to the hydraulic clutch on my 1999 166 3.0, but I believe that the 164
system is almost identical. I also imagine that there are far more 164
owners with experience of working on their cars than 166.

3,000 miles ago, the clutch hydraulics went soft, there was three or four
inches of free travel in the pedal, and I could not fully disengage the
clutch. The car went to an Alfa dealer, who diagnosed and replaced the
master cylinder. The car was perfect for about 1,000 miles, until the same
free travel occured again. The car went back, the clutch was bled, and all
was well once again.

This problem re-occurs every 500 miles or so now, and nobody can find any
fault. The car is perfect for 400 miles, then a gradual decline until I
cannot disengage the clutch any more. Either the dealer or myself can bleed
the clutch, and it is ok again for another 500 miles.

The thing that is really stumping me, is that there is no noticeable drop in
the fluid level in the reservoir. This suggests to me that there is not
really a leak, but more of an intake of air somewhere. I have had a pretty
good look at the master cylinder in situ. Both the outlet to slave, and the
inlet from reservoir "look" fine to me. The pipework from reservoir to
master cyl routes through the bulkhead, and behind the centre console so
that is hard to check.

It has been suggested to me that as there is no real leak, it must be on the
'suction' side, ie inlet into m.cyl from reservoir. It looks fine to me, but
any suggestions on how to check this further - all I can think of is soapy
water?

If anyone can offer any tips, or suggestions, I would be very grateful. This
is proving a real puzzler for both myself, and my dealer.

Many thanks,

Martin (UK).