Re: Symptoms of failed ECU in '85 Spider? Here's what happened

In a message dated 4/7/2003 10:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, dgaboury@domain.elided writes:

> So, the silver and the black boxes may be the same ???

     The Bosch L Jetronic spiders have two computers.  The black one is on the floor behind the passenger seat.  That is the ignition computer.  All are the same from 82 to 89.  If you have no spark, swap that one.
     The silver computer is on the wall behind the passenger's right elbow.  That is the fuel injection computer and there are two varieties, an early and a late.  The change happened about the time the VVT change happened, so I assumed they were related.
     I know the advance of the VVT intake cam happens about 1800 RPM on the centrifugal triggered intake cams (1982 to about 1984 spiders).  I also know the solenoid on the front of the valve cover on the 1985 and later spiders is not triggered strictly by the throttle position sensor.  Crack the throttle wide open and the cam does not advance until the engine reaches a certain RPM.
     I used to have part numbers for the computers, but they are on my old computer.  Maybe I will get that data transferred someday.
     This is just about everything I know about the computers.  I am not an electronic genius and tend to treat the computers as black boxes.  That is, they either work or they don't.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City