RE: Rant, was: Chassis Stiffener

Well, for one thing, the chassis stiffener isn't exactly a technological
wonder. It's basically just some square tubing with a couple of flat plates
welded onto it. If you are a welder you could easily fabricate one yourself,
even without using an existing one as a guide. If you are not a welder and
wanted to have one made up by a local shop I don't think you're going to
save much over just buying one that's already made up.

As far as I know, Erminas didn't patent or copyright the design and I don't
know where the ones at IAP and Centerline originate from or if Erminas gets
any royalties or kickbacks on them. I also wouldn't suspect that they are
what you'd call hot sellers. I mean how many of them do you think are
actually out there? In other words; when Erminas developed the thing I don't
think he had the idea that "hey, this thing is gonna put bread on my table
for the next 20 years!"

So I wouldn't be too overly concerned about it. Like I said, if you think
you can get one made up for less than the cost of buying one off the shelf -
and I mean enough less that it would be worth the trouble of getting it
fabricated - or if you are a welder and just like to tinker then I see
nothing wrong with that. You might be able to get a batch of them built for
a decent price - I think a guy on the digest did that a few years ago but
then again you're dealing with finding interested people, collecting the
money, getting the things fabricated, shipping them out.....

Either way - ain't nobody gonna get rich off of these things.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa - http://home.pcmagic.net/pi