Brake pedal travel and sponginess in '84 Spider?

       I have exactly the same problem with my 84 spider race car.  Too much
pedal travel.  The brakes work fine.  It is just disconcerting to have the
pedal engage so close to the floor.  It also makes heal toe more difficult.
       I made sure the new master cylinder was the larger 22 mm size.  I am
thinking of searching for a 24 mm master.  Plus I have not replaced my brake
booster.  I was thinking that might be the problem.
       There is no adjustment in the linkage.  I have been thinking of pullin
g the parts off and making sure there is no slop in the linkage and that the
push rod in the brake booster is extending into the master cylinder the
correct amount.
       If the problem happens only after the car is driven, then the rotors
could be warped.  The rotors could be pushing the brake pads away from the
rotor.  Then extra travel is required to move them back to the rotor.  If the
first pump requires a longer stroke, but after that the pedal rises, that
could be your problem.  However, my race car pedal has too much travel all
the time.
       The thickness of the rotors and the amount of brake pad remaining will
not change the stroke required.  More fluid will be in the calipers when the
parts are worn, but the stroke to apply the brakes should be the same.
       I have found that the pedal on various Alfa spiders will vary even
though all the parts are the same.
       Let me know if you get any good suggestions off line.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City