Engine Removal

Finally my 82 Spider engine is coming out. The 21 year old engine mounts
had to be replaced!

My engine is now resting comfortably on the engine lift (the old mounts
actually fell apart on lift). Some help requested.

*  I can't get the engine to separate from the bell housing. All the bolts
are off except the two guides pins. I tried gently lifting the transmission
with a jack and tugging on the lift but there was no separation. How do I
coax the two apart or should I remove the transmission mounts and remove at
the same time?

* I wanted to replace the front and rear engine seals when it's out. How
can you do this without risking a fine running engine? Is there something
else that should be maintained while out. The head was rebuilt 7,000 miles
ago and it runs beautifully.

* The transmission is leaking in the front seal and likely the rear. How
can I replace the seals without risking a well running transmission? Is
this the time to move to synthetic oil in the transmission?

* The starter would not come out until the engine mount was removed
completely. Does this imply that the starter may not be the original equipment?

Any suggestions appreciated.