From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of
Brian Shorey
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 12:09 PM
To: alfa@domain.elided
Subject: RE: chassis stiffener

> because luke bought a 12 cyl. ferrari and it is hungry.....$  ...not
> enough of a difference for a street car.
> --- timothy@domain.elided <timothy@domain.elided> wrote:
> >
> > Isn't it enough that everybody on the list who has installed one has

> > noticed a significant improvement?
> >
> > Bs
> > Then why is Luke removing his from his car and selling it?

So it makes a difference, but not enough of a difference for Luke?

My question remains - if the chassis stiffener made Lukes Spider 50%
stiffer, what does that number mean to most people?  And if it was 60%,
would Luke be happy?  Some others might be happy with 40%, or 10% for
that matter.

Placebo or not, I'm happy with mine.  I've been driving and wrenching
around Alfas long enough to know when something makes a difference or
not.

For those who need to quantify the results, good luck with your
research.  And to those who are looking for alternative approaches, good
luck there as well.  You might start by looking at what the factory did
in the later Spiders.

However, my subjective, seat of the pants assessment is that a pre-75
Spider with a stiffener is stiffer than an 80's Spider with the factory
improvements.

Enjoy,

bs