Re: Driveshaft and coolant

Steve:

Is the sound only apparent with the power on? and "all but leaves" or becomes less when you back off? When mine did that, I was told it was a thrust washer and would eventually have to be fixed. Drove tens of thousands of miles with that sound. If it has been whining for quite a while maybe it's time to get it fixed. If the sound is really constant at all times then it may be something else. The clutch is of course back behind the driveshaft with the transmission. So when you put in the clutch, you unload the driveshaft, but it continues to spin at engine speed (which if you let off the gas when you depress the clutch is of course slower.)

Good luck on the driveshaft issues.

Bernie Bennett

1987 Milano - Driving Driving - everything fine - high speed highway - Whine in the drive line getting louder and louder - so it is a bearing ..... Which one ? The whine all but leaves when the clutch is depressed - Don't know if I'm being overly sensitive or paranoid when I say 'all but leaves' - really think the remnant sound is simply that of a spinning driveline.