Re: Chassis Stiffening for Alfa Spiders

> If a competent race driver who has NO knowledge of my spider's setup
> asks me after about 5 minutes of driving it--"did you install a chassis
> stiffener in this--it's much stiffer than stock?" ther aIN'T no placebo
> involved.

Okay, you win.  Your chassis stiffener has been quantifiably and
scientifically proven to be effective!  Woo hoo!

What if your competant driver had just spent a summer driving his car, which
maybe has rubber bushings, and your car has urethane?  What if the car he's
used to driving is just older and a little tired and a little more flexy for
some reason, or maybe had a different suspension setup or tires?  What if
he's used to an early car, which is flexier to begin with, and your car is a
later model?  Any of these things could be true, and any of them could cause
the guy to say: "Hmmm... this car seems stiffer!  I wonder if it has a
chassis stiffener in place?"

I'm not saying that any of those situations is the case, but the fact that
he asked about it doesn't in any way offer any quantifiable evidence that it
works.  It doesn't offer any quantifiable evidence that it DOESN'T work
either.  It's just an interesting anecdote, that can go into the hopper of
anyone considering the purchase of a stiffener.

The point of my post was in response to someone who asked why anyone cared
whether any quantifiable evidence of its effectiveness existed.  Your
experience, while great, does not fall into this category.

Cheers,

Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC  28078
email: paul@domain.elided