RE: Chassis Stiffening for Alfa Spiders ???

> Why not just take a Spider with a chassis stiffener to a track?  Time
> some laps with, some without.  Unless you're trying to cure some
> rattles, or door alignment issues, the reason you want a chassis
> stiffener is to improve handling (and therefore go faster.)  The
> benefits (or lack thereof) should be clear on the time
> sheets.  Then you
> can decide if it's $500 well spent.

Personally, I don't think a stiffener is going to knock any measurable
amount off your lap times.  Certainly, trying to measure the
before/after in a controlled manner is going to be difficult..

I don't know why people are so hung up on measuring the effects of a
stiffener.  What are you going to do with the results?  If somebody says
it increases the torsional stiffness of your Spider by x%, then does
that number really mean anything to anybody on this list?  Or, instead,
will we all be holding out for a solution that stiffens the car by y%?

Isn't it enough that everybody on the list who has installed one has
noticed a significant improvement?

bs