Re: Chassis Stiffening for Alfa Spiders ???

I haven't, but I remember one of the car mags doing a test on something
years ago.  I seem to remember it involved raising one corner of the car
a measured amount, and measuring the deflection somehow.  The somehow is
the hard part.

Cool, so all we need to do is figure out how to collect some data.
Thoughts?  I have a flexy spider and a stiffener.

Ian
I had a half formed idea of using a laser pointer as a straight edge.. attach it to the body, say at the bottom of the rocker at the front, aiming down to the rear end of the rocker and hitting a firmly mounted rule or some such... and lift the front wheel at that side.

You should be able to see the movement of the spot down the ruler as the body bends, and thereby trig out the actual angle of bend.

Of course, you'ld like to measure the weight on that corner while you jack up the wheel to make it an absolute value of bend per weight, but on the same car it wouldn't matter.. (apples to apples, ignorning the +30 lb of stiffener weight)

Care to invest in one of those laser pointer levels Ian? Or at least a $5 pointer and hose clamp it to a magnetic block? ;-) Hmmm.. might try this myself.. if I didn't have all four wheels off and the car on jacks, getting ready for major suspension work..

Jon