Re: alfa-digest V9 #371

At 5:14 PM +0000 3/27/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:31:06 -0500
From: "Jeff Greenfield" <alfaguy@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: alfa-digest V9 #370 - cams & followers

George -

I'm rebuilding a 2.5 V6 right now with about 105,000 miles on it. This car
has been driven enthusiastically its whole life, not abused and has had
regular servicing.

I've seen several of the V6s that needed cams and/or followers. Amazingly
both in this car show no signs of wear. (these are the stock/original 2.5
cams)

Now for the 10,000 dollar question ... I am putting some new (not reground)
hotter cams in this engine and you've got me wondering if I should replace
all the followers?

I'm open to opinions ... in the meantime I'll go take a really good look at
all of the old cam followers ...

Thanks,

Jeff
If you (or your customer) can afford it, replace all the followers any time the cams are replaced. I'm a poor kid with no money, so when I put (used) hot cams in my car, I took my followers to a top Alfa mechanic and had him inspect them and tell me which ones I "had" to replace and which ones were "borderline." But I don't think that following my example is recommended.

As far as wear is concerned--several of mine were pretty shot at 90,000 miles. (Cams looked fined though.) On the other hand, a buddy of mine has a 140k mi. Milano with no visible wear on the cams or followers, and I believe that Bernie has the original cams in his GTV-6, pushing 400k miles.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6