Re: GTV windshields

In a message dated 3/26/03 7:48:12 PM, owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: ralphone@domain.elided
Subject: GTV - 115 Windshields

Hi Everybody.

The other day while I was looking at my 1974 GTV I noticed the rear window is
held in place by a nice rubber Gasket.  The front however has what appears a
glued in windshield with a stainless steel trim glued to the glue?  Is this
stock?

Thanks in Advance,
Ralph DeLauretis>>

Hi Ralph,

Yes, this is stock. I have a 1973 GTV and it has the same glued-in front
windshield and gasketed rear windshield. I'm told the GTV's had gasketed
front windshields through 1972 but in crash tests the gasket did not hold the
windshield in sufficiently in head-on crashes, so in 1973 Alfa switched to a
glued-in front windshield.

I recently cracked the glued-in windshield in my GTV taking it out ot repair
rust damage where water can crept in over the years under the sealer. A local
windshield shop specializes in high-end European car windshields and they
found a new one for me; they told me the published dimensions on the 1972 and
earlier gasketed windshield are slightly different than the 1973-74 glue-in
windshields. They didn't know if that was just because of the tighter
clearances with the glue vs. the gasket and whether there is any difference
in the windshield opening and mounting area.

I'd be surprised if Alfa changed the roof and cowling stampings around the
windshield in 1973. Does anybody know if a 1972 windshield with gasket will
fit properly in the opening of the 1973-74 GTV's?

Best to all.

John Doak in Baltimore, MD