Re: 164 t-belt job questions

Just completed this task for the first time on my 91 L. I ran into a few
items in the process that might be helpful for others undertaking this for
the first time.  Also see the 164 digest for many helpful posts on this
topic.
The manual is pretty good on the R/R process. Some important things that are
not obvious or in the manual.

1. The power steering belt - To R/R you must remove the idler pulley for the
A/C serpentine belt. Just 3 10 mm bolts but the manual makes on mention even
though it's obvious after you scratch your head for a few minutes.

2.  Remove the power steering pump hose to access the 13 mm nut  on the top
portion of the mounting bracket - necessary unless you have the special alfa
tool.  You'll drip some fluid but not the whole reservoir.

3.  Use a 1 5/8 socket or the metric equivalent to rotate the engine.
Remove (or loosen 10 turns) spark plugs.

4.  When mounting the new belt, dress round the crankshaft, forward cam,
rear cam, tensioner, and idler pulley in that order.

5.  To adjust the timing belt mechanical tightner (not the hydraulic one on
some earlier cars), you must follow a specific procedure. Good directions
can be found at Alfapro.com.  Follow the directions - exactly.

3. Never rotate the engine backward with the timing belt install. You will
almost certainly jump teeth on the rear cam gear and have to time everything
again.)

4. Mark the timing marks on the cams with a scribe or as I did with a Dremel
tool.  Don't use whiteout because the marks will not be precise enough.
This so that you can see them without removing the covers next time.

Hope this helps. Give yourself plenty of time and check your work.