Re: How to seal holes between trunk and pass. compartment on Spider

Hi,

I did have to do some resealing a while back when I had some
bodywork/repainting done. Don't forget the interior side panels in the "rear
seat" area. I had removed all this to facilitate the bodywork, and on the
trip over to the body shop the exhaust fumes were just about killing me at
around 40-45 MPH. I am talking about the inner body structure on the sides
just behind the front seatbacks, just behind the doors, there are openings in
the inner bulkheads for access to the outer body shell. I sealed mine with
plastic sheeting (like paint dropcloth, a little thicker then standard trash
bags) and Goop Household Project glue in a tube. Other adhesives did not
stick well to the plastic, and duct tape deteriorated rapidly. This area was
responsible for most of the fumes.

For the little removable windows for shock absorber accessibility in the
trunk "firewall" I stuck pieces of self-stick weatherproofing foam tape to
the sealing edges of the plates, then screwed them back in.

Now as long as I keep the windows rolled up (when the top is up) and the
vents on, the cabin remains relatively fume-free.

For smaller gaps around wires, etc. you could use Permagum caulking putty
(non-hardening sealing putty) or caulking ropes (same idea, in rope form
roughly the diameter of a cigarette) available from HW stores. Usually a
light blue color, the consistency of modeling clay. Does not create a mess,
and is easily removable later.

--Caxambu
1959 Spider 1750
Seattle WA

Halfway thru my head gasket R/R. Got the studs cleaned up, now concentrating
on cleaning up the gasket surfaces, being careful to keep dirt out of the cam
journal oil passageways. Will check for head warp after purchasing a long
enough straightedge.