Re: steering idler

In a message dated 3/24/03 5:40:29 AM Pacific Standard Time, Kevin writes:

<snip>
>  Related question:  This idler feels tight with no apparent bushing wear,
>  off a  chassis with 90,000 miles.  I was going to disassemble so that I
>  could grease the shaft and bushing.  Any suggestions for such maintenance?

Check out the installation of a grease fitting for the steering idler on Mike
Valant's web site: http://engr.smu.edu/rcam/cpm3v//mygs.htm (scroll to near
the bottom).

It involves drilling a hole along the length of the steering shaft and then
two cross-drilled holes in the bushing area. A Zerk fitting is installed at
the top of the shaft. See the picture on the web site. Seems like a good time
to perform this mod and maintenance is a simple grease gun squeeze every oil
change.

Tom
Seattle
6310123